Skip to main content

Skin Talk

 Skin Talk

Skin has always been a subject very close to home for me. I never thought there would come a time when I discuss and share it with other people beyond my family and close friends but there’s something really wonderful about opening yourself up to vulnerability. 

My personal skin journey: 

Since the age of 11 my skin started to break out and ever since then I have lived in a pit of shame and embarrassment due to what sat on my face/body. At 11 you are completely clueless to what is happening to your body hormonally and physically and how to fix it. You also do not have the knowledge on how to use makeup and how to cover up spots so my idea to fix it at that time in life was to cut a fringe in to cover the forehead spots and smother myself in a £2 foundation from Julies.

Over the years I have tried everything from creams, lotions, washes, birth control pills from doctors to paying for excessively expensive brand products like £70 moisturisers etc. I have tried home remedies, sudocrem, apple cider vinegar and even made the decision to start taking roaccutane (also known as isotretinoin). This worked for a short period as a quick fix procedure but the side effects that came with it were exceptionally strong and at the time I did not even think about the effect it was having on my body. All I wanted was clear skin and I would do / take anything to get it. After I stopped taking Roaccutane my spots returned with vengeance as I now I realise I was not dealing with what was happening at that point in my life. The acne drove me to a point of insanity and I used to sit for hours and pick and bully and pop and stress and do everything under the sun to aggravate it and make it 10x worse that it’s original state.

There have been plenty of social events, gatherings; etc I have missed due to my acne and the embarrassment ate me alive. I remember there was a period of time that I didn’t wear anything that showed my shoulders, back or chest as I was so ashamed and humiliated.  I couldn’t bear being around people in general but along came the human nature  of comparison and I would torture myself. I hated every conversation I had with people as I was exposed to judgement and all I wanted to do was hide away from the world until it cleared. 

At the start of lockdown I paid to speak to a naturopath called Linda from Manchester. She spoke to me in regards to my diet, the nutrients I was getting, family life and everything in regards to me, myself and I. There was no advice on what pills to take, or what product or lotions to use the conversation was based purely on what was going on with me and what was happening in my life. Linda helped me to understand that a lot of the time we are so desperate to find something that works quickly; we neglect what’s actually healthy for us and what is not.  

It has taken years for me to come to the realisation that both your skin and your mental health goes hand in hand and that it is a true visual representation of what is going on in the inside. As soon as I feel the slightest bit of stress my skin starts to flare up causing breakouts and I now know my skin will always be worse when I am feeling stressed or having ‘issues’ let’s say but I know they aren’t going to sit there forever. Having acne can be the most isolating thing in the world and one of the biggest confidence killers at the best of times for both males and females. I understand that all different types of people suffer from different types of acne and I know mine may not be the worst you have ever seen but it really is all about trial and error about finding what works best for you. It is so hard to find peace with your skin and as you can see from the pictures my skin still isn’t 100% clear and that’s ok so what I have tried to do is write down some points below that I try to remember in the midst of when I aren’t feeling the best about my skin. 

1)      If you suffer with acne this does not make you unclean or dirty and I cannot stress that enough ( ironic )

2)      Your skin is the outfit that you wear forever – prioritise and take care of it.

3)      Stressing will only and only ever aggravate your skin. It is counterproductive. In the moment of stressing and panicking you are so quick to forget all the good things about yourself and let the respect you have for yourself slip away in seconds. 

4)      Rationalise what food you are putting into your body and what nutrients you are getting that are going to make you feel good on the inside and I promise it shows on the outside.

5)      I know this is seriously cliché and you’ve heard it a million times before if you suffer with your skin but you MUST drink water 2-3L, get enough sleep and surround yourself with people who bring out the best in you.

6)      Your skin does not define you in anyway and will never be a representation of who you are.

7)      Do not pick your spots. They will spread. I learnt that the hard way. Enough said.

8)      As hard as it is – be patient. Its taken me a loooooong 10 years to get to where I am today. 

9)      A lot of people who suffer with acne inherit it from their parents.

10)   Running from our problems will never solve them. You have to take them on head first and with open arms, embrace it.

 

-          One last thing I would like to point out – my DMs are always open for people who may or may not struggle with the same thing or even just for a general chat. I am more than happy to answer any questions in regards to my skin/ acne or any in general and I am always happy to help anyone with advice :)


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ditch the quick fix

Ditch the quick fix. We live in a day and age where everything is scarily accessible, we want everything to be fixed there and then. Whether it being the morning coffee fix that you have now become reliant on to wake you up or now having the choice to take slimming pills instead of natural weight loss is mind boggling and bizarre. I wanted to use the example of paracetamol to start things off. This particular pain relief enables you to postpone a pain in the stomach or maybe a headache for a short while but  by making the choice of going straight in for the paracetamol in the meds cupboard you are failing to see what it is that occurred these aches and pains in the first place. We need to be questioning what the root cause may be instead of masking the problem. You may need to cut a particular food out of your diet to get rid of the stomach ache or you may need to lessen your screen time to avoid that irritating headache that keeps unwelcomely coming back.  I th

Covid-19

Over the past few weeks I do believe everyone has had their fair share of overwhelming uncertainty and discomfort of the unknown. Many anxieties are through the roof and stomachs have turned. Entering your local shop and seeing nothing but distress and constant panic upon people’s faces. The view of our lovely grandparents through a glass window and wanting to wrap them up in cotton wool for safety. Daily phone-calls and facetimes to our loved ones. The frustration of not being able to perform the smallest of gestures like a hug or handshake.  At the moment, it feels as though were all sort of plodding on, the days can feel a week long or they fly by within seconds. Most of them don’t even feel real. Very grey. But we can’t expect them to feel like our every day because this isn’t our normal every day. It’s a very strange time for all and we cannot change what is going on right now it’s completely out of our control; the only parts we can control are our part we play which is to

Eating Disorder Week

Nowadays there are so many things telling us what to eat and what not to eat. There are so many crazy crash diets that are out there such as the 'keto diet' or 'intermittent fasting' etc. Since school I've tried a million and one of these diets and it always ends up providing short term satisfaction and end up starving my body of the important nutrients. With losing weight most people turn to the idea of cutting out those important foods and vitamins that is needed for the human body to function on a day to day basis. It can become extremely obsessive and can make people very poorly and unwell. My own personal experience with this has been very unpleasant and developed a very unhealthy relationship with both food and my body. When you begin to obsess over the way your body looks 24/7 and the food you're putting inside of it, you begin to lose sight of all reality of your own physical and mental wellbeing. For me, I had my own phycological rulebook in my head abo