Skip to main content

Can I be you?


Can I be you?

Just to start I would like to say how I am beyond guilty of this topic and have been since I remember and to my knowledge a lot of us are too.

I have spent a countless amount of time scrolling on a screen, browsing through different social media accounts in which each one would add to the pot of self-hatred. It really does upset me that so many of us have learnt the type of behaviour that is ‘comparison’ which is ridiculously unhealthy for our self-esteem and confidence. I remember once being on a night out and actually muttering under my breath ‘fuck sake’ as I felt like the ugly duckling that sunk away into the background amongst all of my stunning friends. The whole night was filled with anxiety and ending up resulting in me drowning my sorrows.

We spend our precious time on this earth beating ourselves up day in and day out due to the fact that we don’t look a certain way that is deemed as “good enough”.

I don’t think it’s very fair to put a constant blame on social media for being such a bad influence and encouraging comparison. I do think it can have a negative impact if you aren’t using it in a clever way. If you head over to Instagram already with the feeling of insecurity with a feed full of models, it’s almost guaranteed that you’ve set yourself up for a bowl of self –judgement.

It isn’t just looks we compare, its people’s lives, houses, cars etc. We’re all guilty of wanting what we don’t have whilst lacking appreciation of what we do have. Comparison will forever snatch the happiness underneath your feet knocking you straight to the ground. There it stands laughing and pointing its finger in your face.

So recently I have filled my feed with positive quotes and pages that are aesthetically pleasing like a lot of good tasty food, things that I find positive and take great joy out of looking at. Nowadays, I wouldn’t dare speak to myself the way I used to and I really try hard not to compare as I know it will only lead me in the direction of some seriously vicious anxiety and will kill any sort of appreciation I have for myself. The thing is, you are always able to admire the way someone else looks without having to question the way you look and that’s something I really have learnt recently. Let’s face it, we can say ‘Oh I wish I looked like this person’ all we want but we just aren’t ever going to be anyone other than ourselves and that’s the cold hard truth. I actually sat and laughed the other day at that realisation because it really hit hard that I wouldn’t look like anyone other than me and that’s something that a lot of people should accept in order to set yourself on the right track of self-belief.

It’s time to focus on yourself and stay in your own lane, remembering that you have so much to offer as your own unique self. The only person you should try and be better than, is the person you were yesterday and not finding yourself in competition with anyone else. Something to remember especially these days is that you don’t have to be doing what everyone else is doing, especially if it isn’t something that’s going to make you happy. We can’t continue to compare our behind the scenes moments to everyone else’s highlights.

Comparison is the thief of joy and always will be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ditch the quick fix

Ditch the quick fix. We live in a day and age where everything is scarily accessible, we want everything to be fixed there and then. Whether it being the morning coffee fix that you have now become reliant on to wake you up or now having the choice to take slimming pills instead of natural weight loss is mind boggling and bizarre. I wanted to use the example of paracetamol to start things off. This particular pain relief enables you to postpone a pain in the stomach or maybe a headache for a short while but  by making the choice of going straight in for the paracetamol in the meds cupboard you are failing to see what it is that occurred these aches and pains in the first place. We need to be questioning what the root cause may be instead of masking the problem. You may need to cut a particular food out of your diet to get rid of the stomach ache or you may need to lessen your screen time to avoid that irritating headache that keeps unwelcomely coming back.  I th

Covid-19

Over the past few weeks I do believe everyone has had their fair share of overwhelming uncertainty and discomfort of the unknown. Many anxieties are through the roof and stomachs have turned. Entering your local shop and seeing nothing but distress and constant panic upon people’s faces. The view of our lovely grandparents through a glass window and wanting to wrap them up in cotton wool for safety. Daily phone-calls and facetimes to our loved ones. The frustration of not being able to perform the smallest of gestures like a hug or handshake.  At the moment, it feels as though were all sort of plodding on, the days can feel a week long or they fly by within seconds. Most of them don’t even feel real. Very grey. But we can’t expect them to feel like our every day because this isn’t our normal every day. It’s a very strange time for all and we cannot change what is going on right now it’s completely out of our control; the only parts we can control are our part we play which is to

Eating Disorder Week

Nowadays there are so many things telling us what to eat and what not to eat. There are so many crazy crash diets that are out there such as the 'keto diet' or 'intermittent fasting' etc. Since school I've tried a million and one of these diets and it always ends up providing short term satisfaction and end up starving my body of the important nutrients. With losing weight most people turn to the idea of cutting out those important foods and vitamins that is needed for the human body to function on a day to day basis. It can become extremely obsessive and can make people very poorly and unwell. My own personal experience with this has been very unpleasant and developed a very unhealthy relationship with both food and my body. When you begin to obsess over the way your body looks 24/7 and the food you're putting inside of it, you begin to lose sight of all reality of your own physical and mental wellbeing. For me, I had my own phycological rulebook in my head abo