Skip to main content

Embrace the authenticity


Embrace the authenticity

It’s takes courage to be nothing but true to yourself and as sad as that is, it’s the truth. I have always been one to follow and sink into others opinions and actions just because it was easy and it became comfortable and gave me a sense of acceptance. I built up a very bad habit of leading myself astray from who I was as a person and living such an opposite life in order to gain validation from others. I would strive for self-worth in areas I was bound to never find it. I had become so lost in other people that I became unrecognisable to the people who knew me the most and I saw no way of escaping the hole I had created for myself.

What scared me the most whilst being stuck in the midst of it all was that when you do make a bold move to generate and voice your own opinion, you open yourself up to a whole load of vulnerability. I just hated the idea of being shot down or feeling embarrassed if I disagreed with anyone and then to be told I was ‘boring’ was an extra. The thing is people are genuinely happy sailing through life not making any waves and not being their true self but I knew deep down that this wasn’t me and I was not to continue otherwise I would carry on sailing through life being miserable trying to please others. I just needed to let go of the idea of who I thought I needed to be in order to be my authentic self.

Caring about what others think of you, whether that being what they think of your opinion, clothes, house etc, will only ever lead you towards a downhill spiral of self-hatred and no one ever deserves to ever feel  that way. No one deserves to be made to feel as though they aren’t good enough or that they aren’t ‘normal’ because they venture outside of what everyone deems as ‘normal’. Some people just find it very hard to accept that there may be even a possibility of contentment and happiness to be found outside of their circle.

I am still trying to figure the different parts of me every day but I am no longer available to try and alter or shape them in order to feel accepted by anyone. It’s taken a while but now I know that It is always important to do what is best for me at the end of the day. Whether people approve of this or not, it will always be your life that you are living and you have the knowledge in order to know what is good for you and what isn’t. As time goes on we meet new people along the way and end up finding out who brings out the best in you and who brings out the worst. It can be an uncomfortable journey at times but you will end up finding who really sticks by you even when you are a bit strange.

Self-worth is called SELF-worth for a reason. Your self-worth does not come from the opinions of others; it doesn’t come from what house you live, it doesn’t come from what car you drive it comes from being nothing but the best version of you. Be exactly who you want to be, who is completely their self so that others around them feel safe enough to be their complete self too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ditch the quick fix

Ditch the quick fix. We live in a day and age where everything is scarily accessible, we want everything to be fixed there and then. Whether it being the morning coffee fix that you have now become reliant on to wake you up or now having the choice to take slimming pills instead of natural weight loss is mind boggling and bizarre. I wanted to use the example of paracetamol to start things off. This particular pain relief enables you to postpone a pain in the stomach or maybe a headache for a short while but  by making the choice of going straight in for the paracetamol in the meds cupboard you are failing to see what it is that occurred these aches and pains in the first place. We need to be questioning what the root cause may be instead of masking the problem. You may need to cut a particular food out of your diet to get rid of the stomach ache or you may need to lessen your screen time to avoid that irritating headache that keeps unwelcomely coming back.  I th

Covid-19

Over the past few weeks I do believe everyone has had their fair share of overwhelming uncertainty and discomfort of the unknown. Many anxieties are through the roof and stomachs have turned. Entering your local shop and seeing nothing but distress and constant panic upon people’s faces. The view of our lovely grandparents through a glass window and wanting to wrap them up in cotton wool for safety. Daily phone-calls and facetimes to our loved ones. The frustration of not being able to perform the smallest of gestures like a hug or handshake.  At the moment, it feels as though were all sort of plodding on, the days can feel a week long or they fly by within seconds. Most of them don’t even feel real. Very grey. But we can’t expect them to feel like our every day because this isn’t our normal every day. It’s a very strange time for all and we cannot change what is going on right now it’s completely out of our control; the only parts we can control are our part we play which is to

Eating Disorder Week

Nowadays there are so many things telling us what to eat and what not to eat. There are so many crazy crash diets that are out there such as the 'keto diet' or 'intermittent fasting' etc. Since school I've tried a million and one of these diets and it always ends up providing short term satisfaction and end up starving my body of the important nutrients. With losing weight most people turn to the idea of cutting out those important foods and vitamins that is needed for the human body to function on a day to day basis. It can become extremely obsessive and can make people very poorly and unwell. My own personal experience with this has been very unpleasant and developed a very unhealthy relationship with both food and my body. When you begin to obsess over the way your body looks 24/7 and the food you're putting inside of it, you begin to lose sight of all reality of your own physical and mental wellbeing. For me, I had my own phycological rulebook in my head abo